Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sticky Buns...

My awesomely, incredible friend Claudia offered to drive me to my appointment in Nurnberg on Monday. She drove all the way out to my house with a big pan of beef and cheese enchiladas for Aidan and I to eat for dinner. She really is an awesome friend... and I feel blessed to have her! She kept my mind occupied on the drive up to the office. When we arrived, we immediately found parking in the close parking lot! Great... because I didn't have to walk far when the procedure was done! We went up to the 1st floor and they sent us up to the third floor. There we sat at a small coffee table. We laughed because we felt like at any minute we would be served crumpets and tea. Hahaha! The anesthesiologist came out to ask me a few questions. What are you allergic to, have you had any surgery... bla bla bla. Can you eat Soy Sauce? HUH??? Apparently the medication they use has the same base. I thought that was odd...but ok! She asked me to go back downstairs to use the restroom one more time. It was funny because there was a line of girls doing the same thing. While I stood by the bathroom door waiting for my turn... Dr. V came out of his office. I gave him a little school girl wave and he rubbed me on the shoulder. It was good to see a smile on his face... especially knowing that he was about to possibly get me pregnant...LOL!

I went BACK upstairs and one of the nurses came out to have me finish filling out the paperwork. She asked me to go BACK downstairs to drop off my 2500 euro. I think they were just trying to make me work out. I was exhausted from walking up and down those stairs all morning. Finally around 10:45, the anesthesiologist came back out and got me. I wasn't sure what to expect, and I feel bad because poor little Claudia had to sit out in the waiting room with the other husbands. They didn't allow anyone to go back there but the patient. I went into this tiny room where she gave me a knee length shirt. It had stripes. I remember thinking... am I going to jail? Later I noticed the other girls had plain blue ones with a little bow in the front. Probably because they were skinnier. Haha... the fat girls always get the moo moo dresses :(. She then gave me an IV and asked me to walk into the next room where I climbed up onto the table and put my legs in the stirrups. She covered my girlie parts with a sheet until it was time to do the procedure. She switched my IV out with the sleepy stuff and said... "Night night... sweet dreams". I closed my eyes and drifted of to sleep quickly. It took me a few days to remember what I dreamed about, but I finally did. I was in a Facebook contest and I won a Camera. Haha! Next best thing to babies I guess for me!

When they woke me, I was already in a new room with 3 German girls. The first thing I said was.. "How long was that". Someone said it was an hour and that I had to stay in the new room for another hour. Some of them gave me the evil eye, but I rolled over and pretended not to see. I kept thinking about Claudia sitting in the waiting room bored out of her mind. I was soo grateful to have her there, but also missed John. After all... if this works, that would have been the day of Conception! I laid there for my hour, the whole time holding my belly. I guess I don't take to pain very well because I was cramping a lot and the other girls seemed to be just fine. I was the last one to finish my IV, and they finally sent me on my way with a slip of paper that told me how many eggs they retrieved. 4 out of 8 made it out. I had hoped for more... but this was ok. I met Claudia in the waiting room and we headed to the pharmacy.

She then took me to China Wok. I hadn't eaten since the night before and I was starving. Scarfed down my food like no one's business. Then home. Aidan just got home too and he gave me a quick little look... glad you're alive mommy. He was so nervous the previous night thinking I wouldn't wake up. What a joker that boy is!!! The rest of the evening I spent mostly lying around in bed. I know a bunch of girls are fine after this procedure but for me, I've never done well with stomach pains or cramping... so the bed was the place for me.

The next morning I received a phone call from the office telling me that my eggs were not fertilizing. I immediately started crying and thinking this was such a waste of time and money. But my support group picked me up and I was actually ready to start again right away. I had to wait one more day though "just in case". On Wed I got another phone call from the office. I wasn't excited about this one, but the nurse sounded enthusiastic. "Misses Kimball!!! I have good news!!! 3 of the eggs have fertilized!!" I didn't know what to say. I questioned the quality of the embryo's since it took them longer than normal to fertilize, but I agreed that it was worth a shot to implant them. She called me again later and asked me if I could come in Thursday morning for the transfer. My buns were going back in the oven!!! John wasn't scheduled to return home until Thursday evening, so again, my good friend Claudia accepted my request for her to join me. This time they allowed her to come into the room with me and she watched as they put my little embryo's back in. It was quick and simple and I had 15 minutes of lying flat on my back before I left.

Claudia was worried about me walking around and wanted to get me home as quickly as possible, but I had to make a pit stop at the commissary for a Pineapple! I was told the core of the pineapple helps with implantation. So I've been eating it for the past 3 days. I'm kind of sick of pineapple now. That's pretty much it. Now we wait. The big day is Feb 13th. There are so many things rolling around in my head. I just know that if this doesn't work, I will be devastated. But I know my friends and family will be there for me, and luckily I have John by my side this time. We love our little Aidan... but I don't want to have an empty nest in only 6 years from now. We want more children. Aidan wants a brother or sister... or both. I know there's nothing we can do about it. I'm trying to be patient... but it's hard. REALLY HARD!!!!

1 comment: