Thursday, January 30, 2014

6 little embies all in a row...

I think the worst part about the IVF process are all the hurdles.  I'm just trying to make it to the next one without tripping and falling on my face.  Each day can bring more hope... or completely let you down.  Today happened to be another great day with great news.  I woke up early this morning at 7am and laid in bed reading through my FB news feed.  I commented more than usual on people's statuses.  I guess I was just trying to pass the time until it was a reasonable hour to text my doctor.  Lets face it... I wanted to text him right when I woke up... but also didn't want to be THAT patient.  Yes, he told me I can text him whenever, but I don't want to become a nuisance.  8:30 rolled around and it was time to take my progesterone pills when I noticed I had 2 different types.  Hmm... maybe this was my opportunity to text the doctor!  I quickly typed up a text asking if there was a difference between the two that I had and if I was only supposed to take one estrogen pill.  I hoped after receiving my text, it'd remind him to check on my eggs and send me an update.  But he only replied with a simple... yes Mrs. Kimball... they are both the same.  Ha ha!  My sneaky ways didn't work :(.  

So off to the gym I decided to go.  This surgery went way easier than last time.  There is some swelling of my ovaries and they are a little achy... but I can walk and move more this time!  I remember being stuck in bed for at least 2 days with the first one, and I have no idea why that was.  I was just planning on walking on the treadmill, but peaked into the spin room to see if there happened to be any empty bikes since I was late.  There were a few, so I decided to give it a go.  I didn't do all the sprints and jumps, but I made the best of my time and took a short water break in the middle.  Moving was all that mattered anyway.  I'm happy to say, I've only gained 4 lbs this round!  Previous rounds gave me a quick 10... so I'm feeling great!  I think staying somewhat active during the process has helped a lot. And... preparing my body beforehand!  I'm still not to the weight I wanted to be, but I think I'm the healthiest I've been in 10 years :)

Spin and yoga helped keep my mind occupied and relieve some of the anxiety, but when it was over, I didn't want to go home.  I decided to hit up the PX and commissary!  Before I got out of my car, I just couldn't stand it anymore.  I replied to the Doctor's last text and said... "Thankyou, do you know how our eggs are doing?"  I am so impatient... I know!  I carried my phone in my hand throughout the PX waiting for it to buzz.  At one point it buzzed and I gasped for air thinking this was it!  It was just John telling me we needed milk, soap, and paper towels.  LOL!  I chatted with friends while perusing the aisles until finally my phone buzzed at me again!  I figured it was just John telling me more things we needed but it wasn't!  It was the Doctor saying "Six are fertilized".  I wrote back "Yay... thank you".  He probably thinks I'm a huge American dork... but oh well!  I wrote to John to let him know he had done a great job and his part was over.  He said "it's what I do".  Oh my silly boy... I love him so.  I got hugs from friends in the PX and got a little choked up at the register.  I couldn't help it... it's just so exciting!  The fact that we might be pregnant next week!  Or then again... maybe not.  I don't really know how to prepare myself for whatever news we get.  

The next step you ask?  More waiting :(.  They've only fertilized as of now.  They have to divide into 4, 6, and 8 cells and then finally to the blastocyst stage.  Today is only day 1.  Our doctor wants to wait until day 5 to put them back in so we are able to see which ones are the strongest.  Hopefully all 6 of those beautiful eggies will develop into blastocysts so we can freeze some!  

I told you this event of the IVF Olympics wouldn't be pain free.  Waiting sucks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment