Saturday, February 26, 2011

Boots on the Ground!

I've been going to most all of our unit's homecomings to take photos for the families. I enjoyed it. Every last bit of it. I watched as the wives spotted their soldiers for the first time. I snapped as they cheered. I ran when they ran. I must have made over 1000 photos in the last few weeks. Every one of these families are special to me because they have become my family too. I never thought I would be one of those FRG ladies... but that's what I think I've become this year. "Lancer Ladies" are what we call ourselves. And Proud Lancer Ladies! We love our soldiers and know how tough this year has been for them. The homecomings have been bittersweet. They are coming home with a few less men. May these brave men who made such huge sacrifices for us never be forgotten. And their wives and children, we will always be indebted to. I can't even begin to describe the heartache.

I couldn't keep myself from checking the homecoming flights every day, several times per day (eh hem..or hour). We speculated our group would be Friday. But there was also a group coming in on Thursday. I was excited for the Thursday group too because one of my besties was on that flight. What a nice way to keep me occupied while waiting on MY phone call. Up at 4am and out the door by 5:30am. Off to see Trina return to us. It was beautiful. I got to hug my girl. The rest of the day was spent preparing for him. I got my hair done, my nails prettified, even went shopping for some new clothes.

But we waited. And waited. I swear there were a million hours in that day. I finally got my phone call at 7pm! I excitedly posted a happy face followed by 50 exclamation points on facebook. Then I cried a little.

Aidan and I hopped in the car and headed to walmart for poster materials. It was raining cats and dogs. All I could think about was... "this rain better not get in my way". We stayed up for a few more hours and worked on Aidan's sign. He did a wonderful job on it. My lil man is soo artistic.

I had to drug myself with Advil Pm's to make sure I would get some sleep. My phone rang at 7am. It was Trina. Calling to check in and let me know they were still joining me. I got on the website... the time had changed again. 10:27am now. It was OK, because that gave me an extra half an hour to do my thing. Aidan and I were like lightning bolts running through what we needed to do. Camera.. check, Video camera.. check, Sign.. check. HOLLY.. check! Holly offered to come along and make photos for me. I love her for doing it. She did an incredible job. I hate photos of myself normally. But these ones, I will cherish for eternity!

When we got to the hangar, I felt a surge of energy run through me. It was like I was on crack! I know everyone must have thought I was nuts! But I couldn't help myself. I kept dancing and I just couldn't sit still. And I couldn't focus on anything. I felt like the world was revolving around ME. That there was no one else in the room.

Even though there were several other Lancer Ladies waiting for their soldiers as well. I got selfish. I know I was and I felt a little guilty about it. But it didn't matter... it was my day. The announcer came over the intercom and told us we had 15 minutes before the plane landed. We went outside to watch. It was freezing. My fingers were catching frostbite. But I didn't care. I was watching. It was daytime, so we could see everything. At previous homecomings, we were there at night... so you really couldn't decipher who was who coming off the plane. John told me later that he saw us from the window as they taxied. We watched them file off the plane. Aidan said he spotted him. He said he recognized him by the shape of his head. Kids are funny. He was almost at the end. We were pretty much the last people outside. We saw him.

He blew me a kiss. Holly caught it on camera. She rocks. He looked happy. I wanted to jump the fence. Instead I just bounced up and down and accidentally snapped my rose in half. Oops. When we got back into the hangar, we watched as the doors opened. Screamed as they marched in. What an incredible feeling. I cried. Of course. I saw him in the second to last row. I pointed him out to Aidan. He hugged me. My little guy was just as excited as I was. The chalk leader released them. I planned to stay put and let him come to me. But I couldn't. I ran. We almost tackled him to the ground. But he held us up. I couldn't reach him. I was on my toes trying to get completely around his neck. His smell. I love how he smells. I missed that smell. I buried myself deep into his neck. At last!

We had our 15 minutes. I don't think I let go of him much that whole time. Except to let him hug others. We hugged some more and kissed. We were the only ones in the room. The center of the universe. I'm soo selfish.

Holly took soo many beautiful photos. I was soo proud of her! He had to go. But not for long. I picked him up at another hangar where he turned in his weapon and picked up his bags. We waited behind the white rope. I turned away for only a moment and when I returned my gaze to the piles of camouflage bags, he was standing right in front of me. I squealed. We said goodbye to the other ladies, and walked out the door. To our car. And then drove to OUR home.

He's HOME.


  1. All very well put thanks for sharing...I love this!!! Thank you and your family for giving up your family to fight for our country! There must be no prouder moment! I am glad you are all reunited again :)

  2. This is just soo awesome. I'm glad he's home safely!! Lots of happy thoughts for you and your family. :) and reading this just made me cheese

  3. "He's Home." Best words in the world! Very happy for you!!

  4. Thankyou ladies! I am relieved. He burst my bubble the other day by saying one more. I don't want to do one more. 4 is enough. But I know it is coming eventually.

  5. YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!! I love this blog! I can just feel your excitement the entire time!